Our team at Axxya is proud to release the New Canada Label features in our Nutritionist Pro™ NexGen application. As many of you are aware Health Canada on October 24, 2016 launched the Healthy Eating Strategy for Canada. One of its objectives is to help Canadians make better food choices. To achieve this goal the final amendments to the Food and Drug Regulations- Nutrition Labelling, Other Labelling Provisions and Food Colours were published in Canada Gazette, Part II on December 14, 2016.
Under Canada’s Food and Drug Regulations, most prepackaged foods must have a Nutrition Facts table in a consistent format, with regulated, science-based content. Nutrition Facts tables provide product-specific nutrient information to help consumers make informed food choices.
Key changes to the Nutrition Facts table and ingredients list include:
- a percent Daily Value (%DV) for sugars
- a footnote that explains how to use the % DV
- updated list of nutrients that must appear in the table
- a requirement to make serving size more consistent for easy comparison.
- improved legibility for the list of ingredients and allergen information
- grouping of sugars-based ingredients under the common name “sugars”
- the declaration of food colours by their individual common names
Compliance Time Period:
- The regulatory amendments provide a five-year transition period for industry to come into compliance with the new requirements. During this five year transition period, regulated parties are permitted to follow either the former or the new labelling requirements.
- Even though Health Canada develops the nutrition labelling regulations, the Canadian Food Inspection Agency is responsible for the enforcement of the regulations. With respect to the new regulations published on December 14, 2016, a five year transition period has been established for industry to meet the new requirements. Companies may apply either the former regulations or the new regulations during this time.
- We encourage you to learn more about the new food labelling changes.
To access these features in our Nutritionist Pro™ NexGen application –
- Current active clients can see all of these great features by logging into the online application. https://nexgen1.nutritionistpro.com/auth/login
- If you have an expired account, you may still be able to add more time, please login using the above link and from the left hand navigation panel select “Buy more Products” next pick the Canada plan and complete the purchase.
If you would like to purchase a new plan and have not used the NexGen application before please purchase via our easy to use shopping cart.